Sunday, February 21, 2010

Days 19 & 20: Balance

Just as I find the balancing series of postures to be especially difficult, I am also finding it difficult to maintain some kind of balance in my life as the challenge progresses. One of the reasons I avoided attempting a challenge in the past was that I didn't want my whole life to revolve around my yoga. The class is only 90 minutes but I like to walk up to the studio about a half-hour before to sign in, set up my mat, go to the bathroom and then stretch and lay in savasana for a 10 minutes before class begins. I also like to cool down and take a shower before walking back home so it becomes 2 1/2 hours out of my day. Then I need to make sure that I've eaten something that will fuel my practice, but leave a 3-hour window before class so I'm not nauseous and I need to remember to drink water consistently throughout the day.

So basically, I'm thinking about the yoga all day. During the week, I work full time so I come home from work, go to yoga, eat dinner, blog and go to sleep.

This weekend I also had a coven meeting to prepare for and attend (I'm Wiccan), friends staying overnight from out of town that I wanted to enjoy Sunday morning breakfast with, grocery shopping to do, vegetarian chili and roasted vegetables to make for lunches and dinner this week, laundry (although J.R offered to do it this week along with picking up our CSA share. Thank you J.R.!), a house to clean, and a birthday dinner to attend. I did it all (including 11:00 a.m. class on Saturday with Sarah and the 4:00 p.m. with Lynne today) but I'm exhausted and it's Sunday night at 10:57 p.m. and the reason the weekend exists (to get some downtime before the work week begins anew) seems not to apply. And I don't even have children! (I honestly don't know how all of you with children manage your lives. I seem to need a lot of downtime that you never receive!)

Anyway, I didn't mean this to be a big complaint blog. I'm grateful BYH offers as many classes as it does so I can manage it and even more grateful that J.R. is so understanding and is picking up a lot of my slack around the house while this challenge is on. Lynne asked me if I'd had a bad class because I had to sit a few sets out due to dizziness and nausea. I was actually thinking I was doing pretty well, all things considering, and I finally managed to stick both sets of Garurasana. Now, if I can just find that stillness we're always seeking in class during the rest of the day, I'll be in good shape. I need to discover the outside-life equivalent of savasana to reset my equilibrium as time for relxation will be next to nil for the next 40 days. On second thought, I just have to make it to spring break on March 15!

Not so bad after all!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love your blog! You are so incredibly honest about what you are experiencing and I find that I really relate to you. I nhave avoided the challenge because I "can't" come everyday. On Mondays, for example, I have rowing practice at 5:30 AM and class at 4:30 PM and work from 7:30 to 4 PM. When would I possibly have time for a class? I would have to make it my number one top priority. You might convince me by the end of your challenge to do it...we'll see. Thanks again for sharing and for your comment on my blog!

Post a Comment