Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 9: Sweetheart!

Alas! We are snowed out again at BYH. Happily, a very smart yogini who is friends with the studio on Facebook, posted that Bikram's recording of a class is available from iTunes. I downloaded it, heated the office {the room shown in a few posts below}, spread out my mat, and let Bikram himself teach my class of one.

It was surprising. I loved that he kept calling his students {and me} sweetheart throughout the whole dialogue:
"Elbow locked, sweetheart! Come on the toes, sweetheart, on the toes! Sweetheart, your upper body back more!" 

I loved how he sprinkled in his philosophy:
"One of these days you will understand what is this yoga all about; what yoga can do for you. Yoga makes you, you. Nobody in this world knows why you came to this earth. What is the purpose of your birth?"

How he sang after Head to Knee pose.

I laughed several times at his outrageousness and grinned several times more, and was so grateful that I could keep my daily practice intact.

But it did seem long. I missed the energy of our class. I missed the way a whole group of people trying so intently and trying to let go equally as intently makes us strong as a whole. We don't talk in class and we really don't look at each other as we watch ourselves in the mirror, but we are still aware of each other and still respect the effort that is going on in the room. We feel the connectivity between ourselves and from there it becomes easier to feel how EVERYTHING is connected.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can meet at the studio again tomorrow!

3 comments:

bikramyogachick said...

You are so right. Even though we are not talking to each other or looking at each other there is a palpitable energy that carries us through. You can feel it even more during busy classes with alot of strong yogis.
I do want to download bikrams cd and try it at home one day though. Just for fun!

Amy said...

How nice of you to call me a very smart yogini. I was the one who posted about Itunes. Glad it worked for you! How hot were you able to hear your room? I got to just under 90 degrees. I completely agree that it felt longer and harder than at the studio. By the third time, it was really hard to make myself get through the whole thing, sweetheart!

thedancingj said...

"One of these days, you will understand..." is one of my absolute favorite moments on the CD, hands down. That's so cool that it resonated with you, too. And it sure does take extra motivation to practice alone, so good for you!

Post a Comment