Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 17: Not a Morning Person

I am not a morning person. I have to be at work at 8:30 a.m. and it takes me 20-25 minutes to get there. I wake up at 7:35, take a shower, get dressed, pack my lunch, and am out the door by 8:05. I don't even have coffee until I get to the office or breakfast until 10:00 a.m.

But I was at the 6:15 a.m. yoga class at BYH this morning. That's what a challenge does. Whether or not to go is not really the question anymore, just what time.

Tonight was a faculty/staff meeting followed by a dinner at the school where I work, so today the time was 6:15 a.m.

I was grateful there was a class I could attend, grateful for Lynne's caffeine-driven energy but oh! I was tight! I couldn't even bend my neck back in pranayama. I felt off because I hadn't eaten or had anything to drink and I was nauseous from camel to the end of class. My body wants the stretch and the work after it has been sedentary all day. All those spine bends feel like nirvana after being in a cute but decidedly unergonomic 50s retro chair. The whole day is a warmup in a sense. For me, first thing in the morning just felt too jarring.

It was fun, though, to be at dinner tonight and know that I had already met today's challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment