Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 15: The How and Why

Today was a better day! The wheel goes up and it goes down and then it goes up again. Sarah was teaching and one of the things I enjoy most about her classes is that she takes the time to explain the how and the why of postures. For the how she will stop after a first set and either explain the posture more thoroughly or actually demonstrate the way the hip comes further down or how to set up for triangle. Even after a long time of practicing this yoga, I still find that seeing a posture done correctly helps me to make a jump in my understanding. I really don't look at anybody besides myself during class, so taking time out to watch a posture is a terrific gift.

The other thing that Sarah always explains is the why. Why it's important to keep the throat choked in a particular position. What medical benefits come from practicing each posture. Why the series is in the order that it is. I love understanding the intricacy of it all. And I especially appreciate that while I am desperately struggling to breathe normally in standing separate leg head-to-knee pose, while keeping my forehead high on the knee and locking my legs, that I am stimulating the thyroid gland, boosting my metabolism and immune systems, and toning my entire middle body! Hooray!

Even though I felt nauseous after my almost flying-toward-the-mirror camel until the end of the class, I also felt good. It was a relief to know that although I'd been feeling apprehensive about tonight's practice, I'd been able to let it go and take the class as it was given. My camel tonight was even deeper than the one last night. My shoulders are starting to let go in certain postures and are taking my body in new directions. My standing bows are curvier and my damn hips are finally beginning to open! A little nausea is a small price to pay for all of that.

1 comment:

bikramyogachick said...

Now thats a good camel when you feel like you are going to fling foward! I know that's the goal, but sometimes it's all I can do to just sort of push those hips forward (nausea! Dizzy!) much less feel like I'm going to fling!

Post a Comment