Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 24: Emotional Rescue?

This is going to be a short post. I took the 5 p.m. today because I was going out to dinner tonight. Abby taught a good class, the room was fine, I wasn't nauseous or headachey but I fought tears almost the entire practice. Some of the bloggers in the 101-Day Challenge report that the first 30 days are physical and the second 30 are emotional. I certainly had an emotional class tonight and I'm not even at 30 days!

The list of variables is long. My body is tired and hurts in a number of places, the voice of the ego was loud and ugly tonight, I don't think I'm getting enough sleep, I may be going through perimenopause {I keep getting what I think are hot flashes and my mom started hers when she was 40}. Or maybe it was just the yoga opening up a big old internal can of worms. I don't know. I got out, came home and sobbed in the shower, talked it over with J.R., put makeup and clothes on and went to dinner. Now I seem to be fine.

Every day is different. We bring who we are that day to the mat and it all comes out through the yoga. Perhaps the practice is our emotional rescue, bringing all of it up to the surface so we can let it go.

I'm going to let the sound of the gale-force winds lull me to sleep. G'night.

4 comments:

Kyle said...

The yoga can bring out some amazing and terrifying things- especially when we do many many classes consequtively.(sp) Remind me to tell you my story, next time that I see you!
But remember, crying in the yoga room is normal and awesome, and no one can tell if it's sweat or tears. In the words of Rosey Greer... "Crying gets the sad out of you". It really does.

Prodigal Yogini said...

I so needed to hear that Kyle! Thanks!!

Amy said...

How moving. I have not yet had the experience of feeling like crying during yoga. Maybe I'm not letting go enough! I missed you in the Friday 6 PM Class!

Prodigal Yogini said...

Oh pal! After I said I'd be there! Sorry to wimp out on you. See the weekend post for an explanation!

Post a Comment