Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 8: Laugh a Little

Today, I did not want to go to yoga. Now mind you, at this point there is almost nothing for me to do BUT go to yoga. The school where I work is still closed due to the snow and we are receiving more snow even now. Other than laundry, I have nothing else I have to do. And still I did not want to go. My body is starting to hurt everywhere and after a nap yesterday and a really good night's sleep last night, I still woke up exhausted. Happily, the decision not to go wasn't really one I had to make. I'm in a 60-Day-Challenge, therefore, if the studio is open, I go.

I went. And was rewarded with a good and fun class taught by a good and funny teacher. I find that the Universe is like this most of the time. If I make the effort, it almost always meets me more than halfway.

Kyle told jokes and funny little stories and even sang a little. She also worked us hard and gave praise and corrections in equal measure. She was with us. Because of this, I was able to notice that my face was all scrunched up during a particularly difficult posture and I thought, "You're lucky to be here. You're lucky your body can do this practice and you're lucky you can walk here. Smile and let it go." And I smiled and completed the posture with something resembling grace, and left the studio with more energy than when I had entered it.

The practice is very difficult, but it's also a celebration. We need to work hard, but we don't need to take ourselves so seriously. We can concentrate, meditate, but smile at ourselves in the mirror as we do so. Yoga is not postures performed perfectly. Yoga is a way to be present, on our mats and in our lives, with hearts that are joyfully open.

Thank you Kyle and everyone else at BYH!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

love reading about all your experiences -thanks for sharing the ups and downs with so much openness. i was thinking if tomorrow we can't get to the studio we could all do yoga at home at the same time! (but i'd rather be in the not room -for sure) -sarah

Prodigal Yogini said...

Thanks Sarah! I love the idea of all of us practicing at the same time if not in the same place!

Kyle said...

As I was teaching, at one moment, I thought to myself... "I should remind them how lucky they are to be here". But I didn't say it. I'm glad that you felt it. It was a fun class. You guys were great- and gave me energy to lead you through the sweet and wonderful torture of Bikram yoga!! See you soon xxKyle

bikramyogachick said...

One of my favorite teachers (Lacy) always says "It's yoga practice, not yoga perfect". I miss her. She's currently teaching in india.

Prodigal Yogini said...

Love it!

Post a Comment