Friday, March 26, 2010

Days 50-52, Classes 42 & 43: Smile! It makes it easier.

Wednesday night was a terrific class with Kyle. She stopped to demonstrate Half Moon which was highly enlightening. Somehow, seeing the posture with a good explanation sometimes really can make all the difference. I felt really good about my floor bows because I did push and I felt like I went somewhere new. We had a funny conversation about my touching my ankle bones together during Stretching pose. I said that I was trying but that my fingers wrapped around my toes keeps them from touching. Kyle looked dubious. In her defense, lots of other people seem to be able to do it. I shall just have to try harder.

Last night I was too sore/exhausted from an all-day photo shoot at school. We were all over campus, up and down a million stairs, and lugging camera equipment, although I certainly had the lighter load. I returned home and immediately crawled into bed and passed out.

Tonight was 6:00 p.m. with Abby. It has been too long since I took a class with Abby and she said something near the beginning of class {could it have been Awkward pose?} that I loved. "Smile! It makes it easier." And it does. It's a good thing she said it too. I was in the second set of Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose, reaching mightily to touch my forehead to my towel and it happened. I felt a slight pop in the back of my left thigh (if my hamstring were a guitar string it would have let out a sour twang} and then felt a bit of pain and then we were out. In triangle I felt okay on the right side but oh, when I went to the other side I went down and then out! {Kyle I can feel you rolling your eyes. But really, it did just give way! And remember, I am a weenie!} And it HURT! I got through the rest of class {except for floor bow -- I grabbed my feet but when the kicking began I immediately stopped} and talked to Abby afterward. She's thinking that the terrifying bruise right above the back of my left knee is from pushing my hamstrings a little too hard.

I've been thinking about doing back-to-back doubles tomorrow and Sunday to get a little more caught up. We'll see. Abby said to ice it tonight, let Kyle and Sarah know tomorrow, and just see how it goes. Wise counsel, I think. I'd really like to do the doubles. We'll see how it goes. In the meantime, smile, it really does make it easier!

2 comments:

kyle said...

Im pretty sure that I tell you to smile- it really works!!
I did roll my eyes about you falling out. You are a weenie!! I think that you ALLOW yourself to fall out as an escape. You are way too strong and spry to really fall. hahaha seriously!! You just want it to end! Maybe if you smiled in triangle it would be easier.
If you do doubles this weekend, I will be there to support you! I'll teach the 9s and then we can practice together at 11. And then spend another 30 minutes in the locker room. It will be fun!!!
Ice the hammy if you must. I'm not convinced about the bruise. When you pull a muscle, you don't get a bruise. I think you might have backed into the coffee table or something!!
See how you feel in the morning. I suspect that you'll be all better. And if you aren't, we'll smile a lot to make our cheeks hurt so you won't notice the hamstring.
xxKyle
p.s. Thats a lot of tough-love I'm giving, eh?

Prodigal Yogini said...

Thanks Kyle, for all of it, especially the tough love! I'll see you tomorrow with my "smiling happy face!"

Post a Comment