Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 38, Class 33: Back in Black {& Purple}

It was good to be back!

It was great to be back in class under Abby's tutelage. She has a crisp delivery and a way of making you want to do your best. And my best tonight wasn't too bad. I had a great standing series. My back didn't give me a problem until Floor Bow and then I remembered that I'd kicked REALLY high into it on Tuesday. I started to kick into it tonight and and my back immediately sent out all kinds of frantic WARNING signals, so I lay down in Savasana immediately. Fixed Firm and Half Tortoise -- no problem, but then the same thing happened with Camel. I set it up and the second I leaned back, I received the same internal flashing red lights and siren. My body had a spontaneous memory of arching so high on Tuesday, that I'd almost seen my feet. When I lay back down in Savasana, I could swear I felt a knot on the lower left side of my back. But then I did two sets of Rabbit that sent a pleasing stretch throughout my back and finished the rest of class.

And thus is progress made. Not only a playing of the edge that leads into a deeper expression of the postures, but a rising above the fear of anticipated pain. I mentioned last night that I am weenie. I am not the type to view pain as a trophy of my athleticisim and I was surprised at how fine I felt for most of the class. How often do we procrastinate because we fear something THAT NEVER MATERIALIZES? One of my favorite sayings is "Don't borrow trouble. The rate of interest is too high." And it's so true! How much time and energy do we waste in the grip of what if? Tonight it felt good to show up, listen to my body, and realize that it would let me know if I was really in trouble.

It was also terrific to be able to stand next to my friend Amy. She has such a strong practice and a determination that I really admire. It's always a pleasure to share a mirror with her!

I won't be able to make class or post tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to a weekend of good yoga! It feels good to have a redesigned blog for the second half of the Challenge. Hope you find it easier to read! I've also included more entries in the Terrific Blogs list to the right. These yogis and yoginis inspire me every day, as I hope they do you!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am always amazed at how much you can reflect on each class and how it is always different. You are poetic. I enjoy sharing a mirror with you, too. It feels like a silent conversation that we have (and makes me look forward to a future conversation out loud). Thank you for using the words "strong" and "determined" to describe my practice. I didn't feel that last night, but I feel good that you thought so.

bikramyogachick said...

ah yes, much easier to read!
I like the reference to not borrowing trouble because the interest is too high. Good quote!

Post a Comment