Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 44, Class 38: Back to Basics

Today was 9:30 with Sarah and I felt a little nostalgic. When Sarah opened BYH 5 years ago, I was one of her first students. The basics of my yoga practice came from her and the two other teachers at the time, Jen and Monica. So it was fun to be in a class today that had few students {St. Patrick's Day hangovers?} and to hear Sarah say "Feet nicely together. Look down and make sure your toes are in a straight line. Sometimes one foot likes to sneak forward a bit." I looked down and one of my feet was slightly out of alignment. I corrected it and immediately felt more solid.

The rest of the class was like that. Lots of corrections and compliments, explanations of certain postures, and little Sarahisms that open a window into Bikram's dialogue, making it easier to understand. In Savasana after Camel she explained that while the deep compression in the spine is the same in Floor Bow and Camel, that in Floor Bow we work against gravity to make us stronger, but that in Camel we work with gravity to make us more flexible. As often as I've done these postures, I hadn't really thought of them in this way and I like seeing the connection.

I'm going to the 9:30 class tomorrow and then I won't be able to make it to class on Saturday as J.R. and I are going to DC overnight. There may not be a blog entry until after the 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. Just a heads-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment